When you have a legal question or need help with a legal situation, it can be difficult to know where to start. The best ways to find a prospective lawyer are:
- Calling the State Bar Association Referral Line (In Illinois, the number is (800) 922-8757, and in Iowa, the number is 800-532-1108).
- Searching the State and local Bar Association websites for lawyers with the expertise you're looking for.
- Asking friends or acquaintances if you feel comfortable doing so.
Most law offices offer free consultations, which can help you get a feel for the lawyer and the type of work they do, so you can determine if they would be a good fit for your situation. During your initial consultation, you will talk with the attorney about your situation, and they will describe how they can help and what the process should look like, as well as the projected fees and costs associated. Having a consultation does not establish a client-attorney relationship, and you are under no obligation at that point to hire them. Some questions you should ask at your consultation include:
- Do you have experience with situations like mine?
- How long will this process take?
- What are the possible outcomes? Which outcome is most likely?
- Can you walk me through how you will handle my situation?
- How often will I be updated about this process?
- How do I get in touch with you?
- Who else will be working on my case?
- What fees and costs should I expect?
At Greenwood Law, we offer initial consultations:
- In Person
- Over the phone